Apply to become a Canadian citizen, prepare for the citizenship test, and find out what you need to be eligible to become a Canadian citizen.

Are you a Canadian citizen or Permanent Resident?

Is your spouse, common law or conjugal partner, or dependent child a non-citizen?

At Confer Immigration, we will assist you in sponsorship your family member!

Canadian citizens and permanent residents can sponsor their spouse (including common-law or conjugal partner), or dependant child to immigrate to Canada as a permanent resident. Both the sponsor and therefore the sponsored person must meet certain requirements to qualify.

Who can sponsor?

Only Canadian citizens, permanent residents can sponsor their spouse or dependent children. Temporary residents, including individuals with applications for permanent residence in process, aren’t eligible to sponsor their family members. Individuals who received permanent residence as a result of being sponsored by their spouse or partner are only eligible to sponsor if they became a permanent resident more than 5 years ago. In situations when marriages fail and individuals divorce (following a spousal sponsorship), sponsors wishing to sponsor another spouse must wait 3 years from the date the previous spouse became a permanent resident.

Sponsors must be 18 years of age or older, cannot be subject to a removal order, or be in prison, and cannot be in receipt of social assistance (excluding disability). Sponsors must also have no outstanding sponsorship undertakings, immigration or writ debts, or undischarged bankruptcies. Individuals who were convicted of attempting, threatening to commit or committing a violent offence, of any offence against a family member, or of any sexual offence (either inside or outside of Canada) might not be eligible to act as a sponsor

Canadian citizens can sponsor while residing outside of Canada, while the permanent residents must reside in Canada.

Who can apply as a sponsored person?

Spouses and partners who apply for permanent residence as a member of the family class must be at least 18 years of age and must be admissible to Canada. Additionally:

  • Spouses must be legally married to the sponsor
  • Common law partners must have been living with the sponsor for at least 12 consecutive months during a marriage-like relationship
  • Conjugal partners must have been in a relationship with the sponsor for at least 1 year and must be unable to either live with or marry their sponsor because of significant legal and immigration reasons (ie: where same sex relationships are illegal, conjugal partners would be unable to marry or live together).

In the case of a dependent child, a son or daughter is considered ‘dependant’ if they are under the age of 22 and do not have a spouse or common law partner. Children over the age of 22 may still qualify as dependants if they are financially dependent on a parent due to a physical or mental condition and they have depended on their parent for financial support since before the age of 22. The children must be related to the sponsor by blood or adopted.

All applicants and their dependants must go through medical, criminal screening, including the dependants who are not immigrating to Canada

Undertaking and Sponsorship Agreement

As part of the sponsorship application, sponsors must include a signed undertaking and a sponsorship agreement. The undertaking commits the sponsor to provide financial support for the basic needs of the individual being sponsored for a period of time. This period of time varies depending on the age of the individual sponsored, their relationship to the sponsor and their place of settlement in Canada. For instance, sponsorship undertaking for a spouse is 3 years, for a child could be up to 10 years. Sponsors are also committing to repay any provincial social assistance received by the sponsored family member during the period of time of the undertaking. The undertaking is binding no matter a change within the sponsor’s situation or in their relationship with the applicant.

Generally, income requirements are not imposed on individuals who seek to sponsor their spouse, partner or dependent child. However, sponsors must be able to financially support the sponsored persons or make suitable arrangements for their support.

Sponsors must only demonstrate that they meet certain income requirements if:

  • they are sponsoring a dependent child who has 1 or more dependent children, or
  • they are sponsoring a spouse or partner with a dependent child who has 1 or more dependent children. Sponsors who fall within one among these categories must submit a Financial Evaluation form with the sponsorship application.

How to apply?

There are two options for persons hoping to apply for permanent residence as a member of the family class. A sponsor can either submit an “In-Canada” spousal sponsorship or an “overseas” spousal sponsorship. Both applications have different requirements, processing times and associated rights and limitation. It is therefore recommended that you obtain some legal advice to determine which application is right for you.

The documentation requirements for sponsoring a spouse, common-law partner, conjugal partner or dependent child also all differ. It is therefore important to make sure that all documentation submitted meet the requirements of your specific case.