A study permit is a legal document which authorizes an international student to study at designated learning institutions (DLI) in Canada for a limited time. Barring certain exceptions, most international students need this document to study. A Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) may additionally be required to enter Canada based on your country or residence or citizenship.


If you’re a foreign student looking to study in Canada, you need to secure a study permit from Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC). IRCC grants study permits to eligible prospective students based on number of factors. To be eligible to apply for a study permit in Canada, you need:

  • To secure an acceptance letter from a designated learning institutions (DLI) in Canada recognized by IRCC and Canadian government.
  • To have your criminal and background record check done and acquire a police clearance certificate.
  • To clear your medical exam.
  • Prove that you will leave the country after the study permit expires or apply for a post graduate work permit if eligible.
  • Prove that you have enough funds to cover the first year tuition fee and living expenses including the return transportation to the home country. The amount required varies by the number of family members. You need to have in your bank account, the tuition fee plus $10,000 for a single student for a 12 month period; $14,000 if you are accompanied by one family member and add $3,000 for each additional family member.

If you’re eligible for a study permit, you’re advised to collect all of your supporting documents and apply as soon as you get your acceptance letter. Study permit processing time varies counting on the country where you’re applying from. Applications can be done online or by paper. Depending on your country of residence, you’ll receive a temporary Resident Visa (TRV) or an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) or a Letter of Introduction confirming the approval. You can present these documents at the port of entry in Canada to get your legal study permit from the immigration officer.

Work as a Student

Coming to Canada as an international student exposes tons of different avenues to realize exposure and work experience within the Canadian workplace market. There are different options for you to figure depending on different stages of your study.


you’re allowed to work on campus for up to twenty hours every week without having to apply for a work permit. However, you would like to get your social welfare Number (SIN) before you begin working.


As an international student studying full time, you can work part-time of 20 hours every week outside the campus for any employer and full-time of 37.5 hours during your semester breaks. An open work permit is required to work off-campus. However, this work experience won’t be considered for your future immigration application purposes.

Co-op / Internship

If your program of study includes an internship or a co-op, you can apply for a co-op work permit. The co-op work permit restricts the applicant from working at the other place which cannot be a part of your course curriculum.

Post Graduate Work Permit

Once you’ve got completed your degree/diploma or certificate from a designated learning institution (DLI), you’re eligible to apply for a post-graduate work permit (PGWP) and work full-time.. This PGWP allows you to work full time for a particular period of your time for any employer. this is an open work permit. The duration of the work permit depends on the duration of your full-time study. For example; for a year program you’ll get one-year PGWP and for a two or three-year program you’ll get a three-year PGWP. Work experience gained on a PGWP may assist you towards your application for your Canadian permanent residency through Express Entry’s Canadian Experience Class (CEC) and Provincial Nominee Programs (PNPs).

Dependent Work Permit

If you’re accompanied by a spouse for your studies, they’re eligible for an open work permit in Canada