A two-year pilot to hire highly-skilled global talent, which began on June 12, 2017, under the Temporary Foreign Worker Program, the Global Talent Stream, is a new streamlined process. The Global Talent Stream Pilot is a key part of the Innovation and Skills Plan which has as a primary objective making Canada a world-leading center for innovation. The main characteristic of this pilot program is the Labour Market Benefits Plan to detail the specific benefits for the Canadian Labour market and the Canadian economy, and employers must provide activities and targets for each benefit. By taking into employment highly-skilled global talent, the employer must commit to further providing both mandatory and complementary benefits, depending on the category they apply under:
- referred to the Global Talent Stream by one of Global Talent Stream’s designated partners;
- hiring unique and specialized talent;
- mandatory benefits for Category A: creating jobs;
- only the occupations on the Global Talent occupations list;
- mandatory benefits for Category B: increasing skills and training investments.
Alongside job creation and investment in skills and training, other benefits are transferring knowledge to Canadians and permanent residents and enhanced company performance.
There is no advertising requirement and no transition plan for this stream; however, there is a mandatory progress review on the employer’s progress on their commitments made in the Labour Market Benefits Plan.
Considering the benefits, this pilot program might be extended and eventually transition into a permanent program.
- October 17, 2021Immigrate to Canada without a job offer: Ontario PNP
- October 16, 2021Can I sponsor my spouse or partner for Canadian immigration?
- October 15, 2021Canada employment regains pre-pandemic levels in September
- October 15, 2021The benefits of hiring a lawyer to help with your PGP immigration application
- October 14, 2021How to Immigrate to Canada from Iran