Before making the LMIA-exempt work permit application, the Canadian company must register or incorporate in Canada, so the qualifying company relationship between the entities is established.
International Experience Canada (IEC) Work Permit
A work permit under this category is meant for youth between 18 and 35 years from a country of citizenship that has an agreement with Canada that allows applying for an IEC work permit. There are three categories, but not all three are applicable to all countries: working holiday, young professionals and international Co-op internship.
The working holiday category provides an open work permit, while the young professionals and the international Co-op internship provide employer-specific work permits.
It is important to keep updated, as the eligibility requirements for countries and categories are continuously changing.
For example, Chilean citizens may participate in IEC twice, under any of the three categories. Under the Young Professionals category, Chilean citizens, particularly post-secondary graduates, who wish to further their careers by gaining professional work experience in Canada for up to 12 months can submit their profile to the pool. To be eligible, the Chilean citizen must:
- be of age between the ages of 18 and 35 (inclusive)
- have a signed letter of offer or contract of employment in Canada—the employment offer must be in their field of expertise and enhance their professional development
- provide proof of financial resources to help cover expenses in Canada, and to purchase a departure ticket at the end of the authorized stay in Canada
- provide evidence of health insurance
- not be accompanied by dependents
- be admissible to Canada.
- May 27, 2023IRCC inventory stands at 2 million applications
- May 26, 2023IRCC approves 4 new English language tests for Student Direct Stream
- May 26, 2023Moving to Canada? Everything you need to know about Canada’s health care system
- May 26, 2023Immigration Minister Sean Fraser announces measures to strengthen family reunification
- May 25, 2023IRCC provides update on impact of labour disruption